Saturday, February 12, 2011

Locke and Key - Joe Hill, Gabriel Rodriguez

Today was just a regular old Saturday, enjoying my usual routine of sipping coffee at Rogue Coffee Roasters and wondering aloud how to spend the rest of my day.  That is until I read a comment on Facebook from my friend Jeff saying, "I'm trying to get everyone to start collecting at least one monthly (comic) book."  Ok, I thought, I'll bite.  After a quick trip to Iguana Comics and an enjoyable afternoon of reading, I can confidently say that I have found a reason to read a comic every month.  That reason is "Locke and Key".

Locke and Key follows the lives of three kids who are trying to cope with the recent murder of their father.  Along with their mother they move across the country to live with their uncle in an old mansion named "Keyhouse".  The youngest child, Bode, soon discovers a hidden key that opens a door into the spirit world.  Shortly after his discovery, Bode meets a mysterious woman who apparently lives in the bottom of the well at Keyhouse.  The woman tells him that there are other keys to other doors, and even one key that can open a door to anywhere.  She needs Bode's help in finding the keys, so that she can escape the well and be free from her prison.  While the search begins, we discover that the man who killed their father has escaped from prison and is making his way across the country to find the family once again.

While I am certainly not a comic junkie, this book brought me one step closer to that level.  From the very first page I was sucked in to the story and beautifully done artwork.  The subject matter is dark and gritty, and it is hard to not feel the underlying evil that is seemingly always just around the corner.  There are disturbing moments, where the evil does make its ugly face known, adding to the fear and suspense of what is coming next.  Because of these moments, these comics are definitely not for young readers.  At the same time, if you are able to look past some of the gruesome moments, you will find a deep story that expertly draws from the best aspects of mystery, horror, and fantasy.  I only finished it a mere hour ago, and already I am counting the hours till Monday morning when I can go pick up the next volume.  Congratulations Jeff, you are one person closer to your goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment